Commonwealth Day in Anguilla 2014
Commonwealth Day is celebrated on the second Monday in the month of March. This year it fell on the 10 March 2014. The Anguilla Commonwealth Games Association (ACGA) introduced the Commonwealth Sports Day Plaque to the eight primary schools on the Island for the first time last year, to encourage and reward friendly rivalry and fair play in sports within the schools.
Each school is divided into different houses, and they competed against each other for the Commonwealth Sports Day. The winning house was presented the plaque with their house name engraved on it.
Before Commonwealth Day an information session was held at each primary school where the following things were discussed:
- The role of the Anguilla Commonwealth Games Association.
- The different countries of the Commonwealth.
- The history of the Games, where the previous Games took place, where and when the next Games will be.
- The type of sports played in the Games.
- The Anguillian athletes who attended the Games in the past.
- Upcoming events – the Queen’s Baton Relay and the Commonwealth Youth Games.
We also stressed the importance of participating in the games with a good attitude and also to have fun.
This year the plaques were presented by the Board Members of the ACGA.
2015 Commonwealth Day Celebration
Monday 9 March 2015